Contact a Computype Sales Manager located throughout North America or Europe for more information and to request samples of our product
Energy label legislation compliance
Computype has been through the process of implementing consumer awareness labeling in Europe from start to finish with major manufacturers. We can help you make the transition to energy labeling smooth and cost effective.
Make the energy label a positive business opportunity
The energy label aims to create a system which allows consumers to make an informed tire choice, based on information carried on a tire’s label. This is driven by the government’s intention to promote road safety, fuel efficiency and to decrease noise levels. Consequently, ratings related to each tire’s wet grip, rolling resistance, and noise generation are to be clearly displayed in an ‘at-a-glance’ format.
Computype’s European experience allows us to highlight the crucial factors in introducing the energy label to your processes, and make the transition one that positively impacts your plant’s efficiencies.
Early planning is key
From the start, involve your production process teams and engineering, along with logistics personnel and marketing. Integrating all the relevant departments’ requirements at the beginning is central to avoiding expensive and disruptive issues further down the line.
- Involve Computype’s experts in the process at the earliest opportunity
- Trial your solution in one plant before roll-out to other facilities
- Test label materials at the trial stage
Computype’s engineering teams have wide experience of these kinds of implementation. Our teams effectively become part of yours, working closely with your personnel to create a right-first-time solution that is quickly implemented.
Choose your partner carefully
There will be many labeling system suppliers vying for your business, but those with the kind of experience and scope that Computype offers are far less easy to find.
- Computype has partnered with the tire industry for many years
- Our leading expertise in automation helps ensure your solution’s integrity
Automation – the European lessons
After the introduction of consumer awareness labeling in the EU, many European manufacturers are now hastily reviewing their arrangements for tread labeling. While some opted to continue with manual labeling, the reality is that the sheer variation in tire types makes applying by hand impractical.
Additionally, for tire plants adopting automated labeling, what looked an unwelcome extra cost forced on them via legislation has actually delivered an opportunity to increase productivity, decrease labeling costs and reduce scrap and rework.
Expect savings to trickle down
A print-on-demand system such as Computype’s Chromaffix offers key advantages over manually applying pre-printed labels.
- Save time and money by increasing productivity with less manpower
- Negate costs and logistics of sourcing partial and pre-printed labels form an outside supplier
- Change label designs quickly and easily – no need to outsource future redesigns and branding developments
- Integration with your existing production system is straightforward
- Solutions designed to dependably match your production line speeds
Advice from Computype's expert
The tread label contains information about important criteria which help your prospective customers to evaluate the performance of the tire, ensuring your label remains adhered with no bleed through and continues to look visually appealing at the point of sale is also crucial, therefore the correct material choice is imperative
-Lynne Clancy, Rubber Sales Specialist
Always check the label
The composition of Computype labels give you faultless performance, every time.
- A high quality glassine liner is used, to ensure the label can be easily and cleanly removed
- A special purpose rubber-based adhesive gives a strong bond even to winter tires, without leaving residue when removed
- A unique barrier coating is applied to the facestock to effectively resist staining
- The label is finished in a white, super-opaque gloss polypropylene film for durability and dependably excellent presentation
Good tread labeling is great for business
When you select the best quality tread label, you gain benefits beyond merely fulfilling a regulatory obligation.
- Apparent identification of data such as size, SKU and model numbers through high quality labels - despite rough handling – can be crucial to logistics efficiency
- Clear, durable labels stand out instore, differentiating your product from competition
- You invest heavily in tire design and product quality. High quality labeling reflects this at the point of sale, giving the customer a reassuring message of quality
The current situation
For the latest details of how the energy label regulations are progressing in your market, we suggest you check the following links:
In the USA http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Tires
In Europe: http://www.etrma.org/tyres/tyre-labelling
In South Korea http://www.kotma.or.kr/
In Brazil http://www.inmetro.gov.br/english/index.asp
In Japan http://www.jatma.or.jp/english/labeling/outline.html