As an authorized distributor of cab printers, we fully support and actively promote their product line. We do this because after working with these printers for years we have witnessed first-hand the high-level performance and durability they provide. Our customers typically work in harsh environments, where printers need to be trusted to perform under pressure which we have seen cab printers, like the cab SQUIX, do time and again.
Now, let’s jump into the review to see what the MACH 4S can do.
cab Mach 4S Benefits and Features
Affordable, high-quality print, even at a small scale
We can confidently say the cab MACH 4s is the most affordable 600 dpi label printer on the market, which is huge deal for those who are on a budget and need to print at small scale.
If you’re not planning on printing tiny barcodes the cab MACH 4s also offers a 300 dpi model for high quality barcodes at more standard sizes.
Fast and accurate printing
At speeds of up to 300 mm (nearly 12 inches!) per second, the cab MACH 4s offers exceptional print speeds to say the least. Speeds that fast, however, are only available on the 300 dpi model. The 600 dpi model still offers extremely fast printing for such high resolution at 150mm (about 6 inches) per second.
Though high-speed printing is convenient we do recommend slowing down if you can. When you slow down your print speeds you optimize the quality of your image, and if you’re printing barcodes it’s important to have a nice sharp edge to ensure readability.
Compact clamshell design
The cab MACH 4s measures 240 x 317 x 435 mm (9.5 x 12.5 x 17 in) which is quite compact making it suitable for desktop use.
The design is not only compact, but features clamshell style access to the ribbon and media chamber for fast and intuitive re-loading. Additionally, the top of the printer is clear so media can easily be monitored.
Auto-centering roll holders
For even more convenient media loading this printer features automatically centering roll holders that are easily interchangeable.
Since the roll holders are auto-centering it can be inferred the print orientation is centered, which is not only aesthetically pleasing but is easier on the printhead.
If you’re using multiple media sizes we recommend purchasing multiple media holders, one for each media size, to reduce the time and effort required during each refill.
User-friendly touch display
Further improving the user-friendliness of this printer is the intuitive touch screen display. The touch screen interface is designed similarly to a smartphone providing a sense of familiarity, even to those who aren’t familiar with cab printers.
The touch screen display also grants you access to video tutorials to help you along with regular maintenance procedures.
One often overlooked benefit of this particular printer is its ability to run quietly. This makes the MACH 4s particularly suitable for office and laboratory environments where noise may cause interruption.
The cab MACH 4s comes in 3 different varieties so you can choose the ideal dispensing method for your processes.
- Type B features a tear-off edge for easy removal of labels from the printer that reduces the likelihood of damage to labels.
- Type P features a peeler to operate as a label dispenser. This type of operation allows for increased speed and convenience if labels are being applied immediately after printing.
- Type C features a cutter to automatically cut individual labels or specified numbers of labels after printing speeding up the preparation process.
cab Mach 4S Limitations
It’s clear the MACH 4s has a lot to offer, but just like any other printer it has its limitations and isn’t suited for everyone. It’s important to note that in the case of this particular printer, the limitations are circumstantial and will have little to no effect when matched to the right application.
Not for 24/7 operation
The cab MACH 4s is a low to medium volume printer intended for small to medium-sized jobs, this means it’s not recommended to run 24/7. Running the MACH 4s for too long can lead to frequent and unnecessary reloading as well as avoidable printhead damage.
Multiple roll holder sizes for multiple media sizes
Although we mentioned that we recommend purchasing multiple roll holders in our features and benefits section, we also understand some users who use a variety of media sizes won’t want to spend the extra budget to accommodate their rolls.
A single roll holder can be used to accommodate multiple roll sizes, however, we find the time savings and convenience add up over time to make up for the additional costs.
Like many other desktop printers, because of its design and many features, the cab MACH 4s is a very versatile printer. However, the speeds, low noise level and affordable high resolution make this printer a great fit for a few specific applications.
A few places we have seen this printer used that we feel are particularly good matches include:
- Laboratories: the extremely high dpi offerings allow printing small 2D barcodes to be placed on the bottoms of vials. Additionally, with the MACH 4s being the most affordable 600 dpi label printer on the market, it’s a great fit for labs that are just starting out and have to keep an eye on budget but can’t compromise on accuracy.
- Blood Banks: High resolution ensures readability which is critical in the field of transfusion medicine. Additionally, quiet operation eliminates interruptions.
- Manufacturing facilities: Whether on the line or in the warehouse the exceptional print speeds allow operators to quickly print what they need when they need it to reduce wasted time. Additionally, the peeler option allows for peel and present operation, eliminating extra steps from your processes.
- Offices: Whether you’re preparing shipping labels or making name tags the cab MACH 4s is a good fit for the office. Since the cab MACH 4s is a low to medium-duty printer it’s suitable for use on an as-needed basis. Additionally, the low noise levels during operation reduce the likelihood of interrupting others who are hard at work.
cab Mach 4S Cost
Pricing for the cab MACH 4s ranges from $1,500 to $1,950 depending on the model you choose, if you add any optional features and where you purchase from. In comparison to some other desktop printers this may seem like it’s a bit higher on the cost scale, however no other desktop printer offers as many features as the MACH 4s in this price range, especially 600 dpi print resolution.
For what the cab MACH 4s has to offer it is an incredible value. With high resolution, incredible print speeds and exceptional ease of use you can ensure accuracy, reduce down time and increase throughput all at once. However, if your facility can do without all the bells and whistles and you are looking for something more stripped down, you might want to check out the Zebra ZD Series.
Overall we feel this printer is a reliable and affordable medium duty printer with a lot to offer. The cab MACH 4s ideal for applications involving small labels, especially when budget is a factor. Beyond small applications, the MACH 4s is a very versatile printer that can work in nearly any environment that doesn’t require it to run around the clock.
As a value partner offering print solutions from a variety of manufacturers to customers in a range of industries around the globe, we feel our goal is to help match your needs with the right printer. We hope this review helped you to narrow down on your printer options so you can find the best match for your facility.